Monday, August 1, 2011

Green Smoothie Feast – Let the Feasting Begin!

So the Facebook July challenge is complete. Was it my best.month.ever? Close to it! I fizzled near the end due to knee injuries and having to find somewhere to live fast.

Our landlord is selling her condo at the end of August so we were hustling to view apartments. The pickings were slim as August is a slow moving month due to school starting. I am happy to report that we have secured a new place not too far away. It won’t have the beautiful views that we have enjoyed over the past six months but it’s a good pick and I feel blessed that we were able to find it!

The news on my knees is not as positive. Ironically, they began to hurt after taking a week break from Crossfit. It’s been three weeks and the pain remains constant and hurts to the touch. I don’t recall doing anything that would cause this much discomfort. Not sure what the problem is but I have a doctor’s appointment this week so I’ll ask her then.

While we're on the subject of Crossfit, I am cutting my journey short for now. It’s pricey and while I am willing to invest in health, I’m doubling down to focus on getting out of debt. The best thing about the move is that we are on the first floor so I can focus on my fitness DVD collection. Truthfully, I can’t WAIT to get back to Turbo Fire. I’m thinking about a hybrid with ChaLEAN Extreme.

Anyhoo, onto the Feast!

One of my struggles this month was being vegan. I ate high raw but the cooked meals I had included cheese. . .and lots of it! So I’ve decided to reset my taste buds with a green smoothie fast. For 10 days I will feast on all the green smoothies I can drink and not only give my taste buds a change of pace but also my gut. As a member of the lactose intolerant community, the increase in my cheese intake has wreaked havoc on my digestive system.

Why not a green juice fast? I chose blending over juicing because I don’t own a juicer! I also believe blending to be more substantive than juicing because the former retains the fiber of the fruits and vegetables. After reading through some online articles, I discovered that not only does blending retain fiber but also oxidizes less quickly than juicing. Smoothies can last in an airtight container in a fridge 24 to 32 hours. Fresh juice begins to oxidize almost immediately.  Blending meets my needs now. On a side note, I am using a standard kitchen blender for this adventure. One day I will own a Blendtec or a Vitamix!

Don't think that there aren't benefits to juicing though! There are! If you’re feeling sick or want to give your digestive system complete rest, juicing is recommended. Resting your gut also allows your body to get into deeper cleansing and healing. At some point, I will do a juice fast.

I will keep a daily record of how I’m feeling and the smoothies I am creating.

Stay tuned!

- Kareen, RD

No comments: