Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Green Smoothie Feast - Days 9 and 10! w00t! w00t!

It’s getting more difficult to write about the fast so I’m glad that it’s at its end if only for that reason.


Days 9 and 10 were uneventful on the feasting side. Work-wise, I let myself get stressed out. Super stressed out. Causing my IBS to flare up. I spent most of Day 10 in great discomfort with bloating but I held steady.

I ended the feast with a Bolthouse Green Smoothie


Not my plan but the night before was a late one so I didn’t have a chance to blend up my meals. I almost caved and ended the feast on day 10 but I held on. I’m glad to say that today is day 11 meaning I’m DONE!

What I Learned

Bathroom Talk

I’ll breeze over the bathroom talk and just say next time I’ll use a chomper (herbal laxative). I definitely had moments of bloating which chompers may have helped to alleviate.

Weight Loss

In all I lost 9lbs in 10 days. Will I keep the weight off? Likely so. Even though I wasn’t eating, I had consistent intake of nutrients including fiber throughout the 10 days. I wasn’t starving! I was never hungry (unless I wasn’t prepared) and drank smoothies to my heart’s content. I had enough energy for a hike this past Sunday! Lastly, my intake will not change significantly other than that it will now include solid food.

Entering into this adventure, weight loss was not my goal but it’s certainly a nice perk. My goal was to reset my palate and prepare for my high raw vegan journey. I will continue with a significant intake of lettuce, fruit and other vegetables. I’m actually craving a giant salad RIGHT NOW!

Energy

Yes, I had energy. I didn’t miss work and I walked regularly. If I were to change anything, I would walk daily for stress management. I kept the activity as low intensity as possible to minimize muscle catabolism.

Wants vs Needs

Well, I WANT a Blendtec. I NEED a Blendtec. I’m soooo ready. My regular house blender did a great job for what it is but I know the smoothies would have been taken to the next level to where I wouldn’t have wanted to stop after 10 days because they would be soooo super delicious. Sigh. I have to be patient.

I also learned that I want to eat a lot more food then I need. I know I’m not alone. The stats don’t lie – with 66% of Americans being overweight and obese, I can’t be alone. That battle may never end but I will continue to work on developing and recognizing true hunger cues.

How I Treat Me

I've learned that I have the inner strength to take control of my health and that I can be kind to myself. I need to more assertive in my interactions with others. A lot of my stress, frustration and sometimes anger comes from letting situations build up without being addressed. If I would just speak my mind and clear the air, I would save myself unncessary physican and emotional pain. IBS flare-ups are no joke. I'd like to avoid them as much as possible.

For those situations where I stress me out, I need to take deep breaths and a quick walk outside. I can do that.

So, I’m ready to head into transition and have an exciting trip planned for that purpose. I’ll share that with you later.

Hope you’re having a great day!

- Kareen, RD

3 comments:

00Swift said...

congrats...super excited that you finished your journey...mine maybe around the corner

Kareen said...

Thank you for the encouragement! Let me know when you start!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Kareen!