Friday, August 5, 2011

Green Smoothie Feast - Day 5

I call Day 5 "An Experiment in Hot Messes" because I was successful in creating two huge batches of some unpalatable green smoothies.

Here are the disasters
They look innocent enough, right? WRONG! 
I make my smoothies the night before and so I already knew they weren't the greatest tasting but I thought I would be able to handle it. Not so much. When I took the first drink the next morning I gagged - on both flavors. I haven't gagged once during this challenge.

Blech.

For the green-coloured smoothie, I am not sure where I went wrong. I blended a green apple and while it worked earlier in the week, it didn't work this time. And I think I added too much lime and ginger. The flavours and texture were a no-go. The red one. . . well, it was all wrong: frozen banana, blueberries, grapefruit, romaine, spinach, lime, ginger. I even added a little bit of pineapple juice to try and save it and that made it worse. Just not a good day.

Lesson learned! While I would like to experiment with different fruits and vegetables, until I get a high power blender, I am keeping it simple. What hurt most is the wasted ingredients but I really couldn't get them down.

Fortunately I had a short day at work so I was able to get by on two Naked Green Machine juices. When I got home, I kept it simple with this tasty treat:

Three fresh bananas, one head red leaf lettuce and some frozen mixed berries
The Naked Juice did help keep me from falling down with hunger but they didn't fill me completely so I did get a headache. After 2.5 glasses of the above smoothie when I got home, I immediately started to feel better.  I ended the day with a walk which included more hills and felt great!

My main challenge is learning how to overcome the habit I've developed of eating whatever I what whenever I want. I have not been hungry while feasting on the green smoothies but I have had serious cravings. I reach for a smoothie during those times but for the remaining days of this fast, I want to work through the cravings and work on self-restraint. It's okay not to have three giant macadamia nut and white chocolate cookies in a day. It's even okay not to have one!

The end goal is to eat a high raw diet. My body functions the best when I'm in that zone and the weight comes off consistently. It's just where I need to be!

What's on your plate this weekend?

- Kareen, RD

No comments: