Monday, December 14, 2009

Homeostasis

Today marked the start of a new tactic. Week 7 weigh-in (to be posted later/tomorrow) brought with it stasis: not one pound lost. The disappointment was crushing on Friday morning, afternoon, evening and a little into Saturday as well.

I ended Friday with a "whateva" and rekindled my relationship with "Jack in the Box". We haven't seen each other in almost a month but I visited him for 3 mozzarella cheese sticks (not the usualy 6 so that's better!) and one large fries to go. I can't lie; it was tasty but it sat in my stomach for the rest of the night. I'm not perfect. I didn't dwell and just moved on the next day.

Seeing despair about to overwhelm me, my husband asked me the tough question: "What was missing so that you didn't lose weight?" Nothing! My week was spot-on. Well, aside from the fact that I averaged only four hours of sleep each night. Oh and then there's the ongoing water intake issue. . . some days I barely made it to one liter. Then there's the whole caloric intake struggle. . .I'm barely making 1200 calories and my RMR indicates I should be eating around 1600.

As a Registered Dietitian, I understand I should know better but weight loss can be consuming. I can work on getting more sleep. In fact, I embrace more rest! Water is a good thing. Adding more calories? Not so much. Even when faced with the facts that I'm undereating, eating more scares me. I'm in control and giving leeway to add more food can lead to disaster.

What to do now?

Eat more! Drink more! Sleep more!

I have to embrace my food fears and understand it's a lifelong journey. I also have to plan: Fail to Plan; Plan to Fail! I'm not going to change the number of meals I eat but I will increase the calories eaten by 100 to reach my goal of 1500 to 1600.

My calories were low today related to an IBS flare up. I'm also going to bed much later than anticipated BUT I did drink all my water for the day! Each day will get better.

I have faith that I'll reach the sweet spot. This weight will come off!

Below are my eats for the day. Have a good night!

Decide. Commit. Succeed.

- Kareen, RD

1/4 cup egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal, 4 oz Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze, 20 raisins, 1 tbsp Benefiber


55g fresh strawberries, 120g fresh pineapple, 6oz Plain Oikos Greek Yogurt


1/2 cup brown rice, 3oz chicken breast, 60g frozen spinach, Pear applesauce


1 cup green apple slices, 2 tbsp almond butter


1/2 cup brown rice, 3oz chicken breast, 60g frozen spinach, minus the Pear applesauce

No comments: