Monday, November 16, 2009

Weight Loss "Whoa"s

Fridays are in weigh in day. So far I've lost 3 lbs in as many weeks. This past Friday that trend not only stopped but reversed. I gained 1.6 lbs.

WHOA! Where did that come from?!?

I tried to be positive but Friday was tough. I still Pushed Play that morning and enjoyed the workout but 1.6 lbs. . . really?

I spent the weekend analyzing my actions of the past week. Truthfully, I was "good". I exercised everyday and ate within my calorie range 4 out of 6 days. The two outlying days, I ate between 100 to 200 calories above range. While I may not have expected to lose weight, with the week I had I certainly should not have GAINED almost 2 lbs. And the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" theory does not apply to me. My body hasn't changed that much and I'm not lifting enough weight to make a difference. No excuses.

So there you have it - the beast that is weight loss. It's as simple as calories in and calories out, right? Mostly yes, but our bodies are complex and sometimes they react unexpectedly. I'm moving forward because consistency is the key and I have absolutely NO DOUBT that I am on the right track. And you know what? Even if I had surpassed my calorie range by 200,000 and not worked out, I would not let myself be overcome with guilt.

Positive thoughts lead to positive actions lead to positive results.

Are there areas where I can improve? Definitely!

I need to drink more water! A former colleague would create an hourly appointment with a reminder in her schedule. Every hour, that notification window would appear on her screen reminding her drink water. As annoying as it will likely be, I'm going to give that idea a try.

Then there's sleep. It's an essential component of weight loss and overall immunity building. I'm averaging 4 to 5 hours. Not enough. Every other night I'm going to add 30 mins more time to my slumber time until I reach 6 to 8 hours a night.

Lastly, nutrition. That's simple. . .I'm going to continue focusing on my calorie range and eating clean.

I'm heading into this week hopeful that my efforts will lead to weight loss. My body is already healthier and my mind is focused on reaching my ultimate goal.

Bring it!

- k

No comments: