Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On Eating and IBS

My Facebook moniker is "Kareen EatingRight" (friend me at http://www.facebook.com/iamEatingRight). Over the past few days, I've noticed that my status updates have been related to exercise more than eating. The more I think about it the more I realize I'm secretive with what I eat. And that's largely because I'm struggling with my diet.

Right now my battle is not with calories but rather with options. I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome in January of this year. I was struggling before the diagnosis and I have continued to be frustrated since. As a dietitian, I know the usual recommendations: fiber, fiber, fiber. Well, I've been down that road and it turned into a deadend.

I've tried reducing my intake of raw vegetables and some raw fruits but to no avail. I've kept a food journal to determine trigger foods but it seemed as if every food was a trigger. I even went from being vegetarian to eating chicken and fish as sources of protein b/c beans bothered me and meat analogs are too high in sodium to be a reasonable replacement option. Now I feel guilty abandoning my convictions about eating meat. I've also tried the recommended herbal supplements.

My diet isn't exemplary right now as I try to figure out how to reduce my symptoms and until then, I'm not up for sharing on a consistent basis. I am back to trying a fiber supplement and there are prescription meds that can help which may be a viable option as my discomfort increases.

This current flare up has been ongoing for weeks. I could be stressed but my daily exercise helps calm me and I honestly don't feel stressed. Who knows. Some days, like today, I don't care and eat what I want. Today for lunch, I enjoyed a giant salad! Yep, that was my splurge! I am paying the price now but that's just the way it is.

So, I said all that to say this:

Even though I'm frustrated, IBS will NOT get me down! Nor will it deter me from my ultimate goal!

I'm still moving forward but info on my diet will be sparse as I try to figure out what will help my body heal.

I'm eating within my calorie range and exercising. I'm still fired up about this journey and am ready to Bring it!!

- k

p.s. Let me know if you have suggestions on how to get through. I realize I probably need to be patient with the process.
p.p.s. Grapefruit Seed Extract helps tremendously to reduce bloating. It's bitter but effective. . . check it out.

No comments: