Friday, July 1, 2011

One Month of Crossfit

I wasn't sure I was going to make it but I did. One month down and I even signed up for ANOTHER month! It doesn't hurt that one of my co-workers now friend also took the challenge with me. She gets us there and then I keep us going once we get there. It's a perfect mix! Fortunately she's signed up for the next month, too.

Earlier this week I was discouraged. No weight loss, my cardiovascular system sucks, and every WOD is kicking my butt. I'll admit, I thought about quitting and heading back to the traditional gym. Fortunately my husband had some words of encouragement that got me back on track.

I remembered that while weight loss is important to me, so is mastering the Crossfit skills! I have some ways to go but.  .  .

1. I'm a strong woman! (I talk about that here)
2. My burpees are better! I did them on the pavement without one scratch!
3. I graduated from the 16" box to the 20" one for box jumps!
4. I did 20 assisted ring dips! The first time I did these, it was a workout just to get on the rings with the band and I was only able to muster one dip.
5. I graduated from jumping pull-ups to pull-ups with a band. I did three!
6. I graduated from the 8 lb medicine ball to the 14 lb'er!
7. I did 100 back extensions and 100 sit-ups in between a 2 mile run!
8. And even though I'm a slow runner, I am running and I finished 2.5 miles in between swinging an 18 lb kettlebell.
9. I didn't gain weight!
10. I didn't give up!

I know there's more; I just wanted to take a minute to acknowledge progress. Sometimes while looking at the bigger picture, I lose the trees. Looking at the list above, I'm motivated!

For July, my goal is to continue to work on my running speed, graduate to the 36 lb kettlebell and to increase the band resistance I use for pull-ups.

What progress did you make in June? What are your goals for July?

- Kareen, RD

8 comments:

Adri said...

I'm finishing the last few weeks of Body Back bootcamp. My biggest goal is to eat 5 times a day, 3 regular meals with two healthy snacks. It's really hard to undo the 10 year habit of eating only once a day. But I'm working on it!

Kareen said...

Good for you, Adri!! The bootcamp sounds intense. Being a work in progress is okay! I'm working on breaking the habit of eating, well, anytime and anything I want :)

Unknown said...

Really great, Kareen! Proud of you! And...don't give up!

Kareen said...

Thanks Tasha!

enybees-hub said...

Oh Kareen i wish,i wish i can keep up with my weight loss program. I just skipped about 200, ate in bits like Adri says....reducing carbs and fizzy drinks though i had small rice with vegetable soup, wheat bread with honey spread on it, an apple, boiled groundnut,lots of water and will take some fruits before hitting my bed. I actually need to be consistent cos junks always call my name :D.
Well done

Kareen said...

It's definitely a challenge. I struggle with food intake DAILY! Each day is a new one filled with opportunities for success. Thanks for stopping by Enybees!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Keep it up sis.Glad dear husband didn't let you give up :-) Mine is more a problem of creeping weight gain.I need to keep an eye out for that one cos I see it happening right now.

Kareen said...

Definitely better to catch creeping weight. It's a real challenge to get it off!