Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thanks Dad!

I take after my dad in my body type. I prone to obesity and also prone to rapid muscle gain. Not too cool when you're a girl trying get that long lean look especially at 5'1". I've spent years focusing on cardio for weight loss so I wouldn't look thick and then I would get frustrated when the weight loss was accompanied by flabby arms! Even with that, I continued to avoid weights or lifting heavy.  

A couple of weeks ago, I started Crossfit and getting out of the traditional gym was the change I needed to begin to embrace my physical self. This past week, my strengths were applauded and that couldn't have happened without the body I inherited from my dad.

I have never front squatted before yet I was able to max out at 125 lbs. It's been at least 2.5 years and a 30 lb weight gain since I've done a deadlift and yet I was more than comfortable at 105 lbs. I grinned when my Crossfit coach said "we love strong women!" When the other Crossfitters also joined in on the praise, all I could reply was "I get it from my dad." 

I grew up watching him run 5k and 10k races; riding his bike and even today, after being sidelined with knee injuries years ago, he goes to the gym faithfully and loves spin class. He still struggles with weight as I do but his signature 'diesel' legs are still. . .well. . .diesel! Those are my genetics and until this past week, I was never truly thankful for or proud of that legacy. Yes, I will never have "thin" legs and arms but they will be muscular. And for that I can't wait!

So, thanks Dad. Happy Father's Day. I love you.

- Kareen, RD

4 comments:

Chizzy D said...

you know i've been a vegan for a couple of years now. Two weeks ago, i got into raw eating, and i think it is the best thing i have discovered in my healthy eating journey. I would say that i am 85% raw(on the weekends) and 15% vegetarian(on the weekends)...this is the trail phase that i am going through, but so far so good.

Kareen said...

It's pretty powerful! I like the ratio of 85%/15%.

enybees-hub said...

Struggling with your weight like moi... Hmm!

I pick a diet and just can't sustain it not bcos ​​​am afraid of bland food(well sometimes) but I just get tired of boring regimented diets too ;). ‎​​We can walk together right?

I L♥√ع ur post

Kareen said...

I understand completely, enybees-hub! I try to look for ways to reduce calories that does not limit my love of food :) It's a battle but I have faith that I will conquer. Health matters! Definitely we can work together!