Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rootin' Tootin' Salad

Hello from the EatingRight kitchen!

This is the second time I've made this recipe and I love it so I'm sharing. The first time around, I followed the recipe to the letter. Tonight, I switched it up based on convenience and taste.

So here's the original recipe from Foods That Fight Cancer by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.

1 15-ounce can showstring beets, drained
1 small jicama, peeled and cuts into matchsticks
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
3 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

Combine beeds, jicama, and carrot in a large salad bowl. In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and dill. Pour dressing over the salad. Toss to mix. Serve warm or chilled.

Nutritionals per 1/6 of the recipe

Calories: 56; Fat: 0.3 g; Protein: 1.2 g; Carbohydrate: 13.1 g; Fiber 4.5 g; Sodium: 209 mg

Here's what I used tonight:

Yellow organic baby carrots, organic baby carrots, jicama, lemons, seasoned rice vinegar, stone-ground mustard, dried dill weed



Carrots before...



. . .carrots after!



Jicama! I'm new to this root vegetable. Not sure if I can fully describe the taste but it is close to kohlrabi and it's delicious.



All together. The salad presents beautifully with the magenta colour of the beets so be sure to try it out!



Time to get saucy



Final, yummy product! Can't wait for lunch tomorrow. Mmmm!




Please let me know if you try the recipe. It's quick, easy, nutritious and delicious!

Keep eating right!

- Kareen, RD

No comments: