Saturday, November 13, 2010

Raw Foodist?!?!

Hello all,

I've started experimenting with living a raw vegan lifestyle. It's been one week and so far so . . . interesting. This past week I've eaten about 80 - 95%. I think I'll have a better grasp on the benefits I'm experiencing in another week or two. I'm not aiming for 100% raw yet; just feeling my way around. My goal is to improve my health with the inclusion of more fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

The one craving that has been difficult to overcome is my desire for starchy carbohydrates. The 5 - 20% or so non-raw went to tortilla chips for most of the week and a serving of potato salad which was not vegan and truthfully, not that good either :(

To help stave off cravings, I decided to dabble in some raw food recipes. Pad Thai is one of my favourite foods so imagine my pleasure when I stumbled across Ani Phyo's recipe below! I tried it tonight and loved it!



The only change I made was to add approximately 1 tsp of brown, unpasteurized miso. I'm also going to add onions and perhaps a coleslaw mix. There are other raw Pad Thai recipes swirling around YouTube that I will try as well. It was fun to uncook!

For those unfamiliar with kelp noodles, be sure to rinse them thoroughly before use. The packaging states that they have a neutral taste - kinda like tofu! My husband thought they would taste 'fishy' but even he agreed they don't after a hesitant taste test. In fact, he liked the dish!

Sorry for the scattered post. I wanted to take a moment to share the start of my journey.

Alright. . . back to grading papers!

- Kareen, RD

No comments: